The Federal Skilled Trades Program allows those working in an occupation considered to be a trade to apply to Canada for permanent resident status. The applicant must:
- Have a full-time, long-term (i.e. permanent or minimum of 1 year) from up to 2 employers OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
- Must demonstrate basic language proficiency equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark 5
- Have two years of relevant work experience in the last five years
- Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation
All NOC B level occupations will be eligible for this program. This amounts to a total of 90 eligible occupations.
A maximum of 100 applications will be accepted under any single occupation. The 90 eligible occupations fall into the following general categories:
- Industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Supervisors and technical occupations in national resources, agriculture and related production
- Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Chefs and cooks
- Butchers and bakers
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is managed through Express Entry. If you are entered in the Express Entry pool and are ranked highly enough, then you may be invited to apply to Canada through this stream.